Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's just a little thing

Yesterday after arriving back home from tent city,  I was organizing The Faith that Works ministry bins in the garage.   At the expertise of Audrey Van Slyke we are very organized at the moment and I love it.   As I was pulling newspapers out of my car and placing them in the designated bin I had a very funny feeling of extreme gratitude wash over me.  I was standing in the cold and dirty garage thinking to myself, I love these bins!  How strange!  I chuckled and hurriedly left the cold garage but as I was walking into the house I had another thought- I am so grateful for a warm home.  The thoughts continued as I walked through the house and upstairs to my office, so I began writing them on a legal pad.

It's not that I am never thankful- I guess sometimes I miss those SMALL things and I wanted to capitalize on the moment so I wrote it down so as not to forget!   Here are a few of them:


  • Teaching my seven year old how to tie his shoes
  • The full moon the night before (took a very long walk and enjoyed it immensely)
  • A smile from Emma
  • A kind word received from my husband
  • My iPhone
  • A good meal
  • A nice bottle of wine
  • A great phone conversation with an old friend
  • The book I am currently reading
  • God's word
  • God's unconditional love
  • The young women in my life
  • My church

Last week I quoted John Piper, "The right road always leads to the right place; therefore, get on the right road and go as far as you can on it."  Being thankful is definitely the "right road."  As I clear some of my schedule , do some of the things I enjoy, taking time for prayer and reflection, my vision clears and I am thankful- such a good place to be, even if the object is rubbermaid bins. 

No comments: