Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Find your calling an stick with it.

  I believe each of us are called to something.


1
: a strong inner impulse toward a particular course of action especially when accompanied by conviction of divine influence


 Many look at a calling as reaching their full potential in an occupation, or a fitness level, or hobby.  Maybe you are an artist or a mother.  You could be a successful business person or teacher.  These are all worthy and wonderful things.    But have you ever asked yourself is that my "calling" or just what I do?   If you are a follower of Christ I believe that question needs to be answered in light of what He says about it.  Christian means Christ follower, right?  Well, what did Christ do?  Who did Christ serve?  What made him angry?  How did He spend His time?   I don't think we should take on His name and then do the opposite of what He did.    I shared with some people this week this thought- "serving others should be a lifestyle, not an occasional good deed."  This doesn't mean abandoning your occupation- it means to weave the two together- they are one and the same.  Your occupation is a vehicle to glorify God.  Did you know the bible has over 300 verses that just talk about the poor?   In the movie "Little Women" the mother(Marmi) serves the poor and fights for social justice everyday AND loves her children well.  Her children grow up understanding that their occupation should be to serve a greater good.  They understand that the gifts and talents God gave them are to be used to help others.  One daughter marries and has a family.  The movie depicts her as a pregnant  mother, gardening to help feed her community.  Jo is a writer.  After much angst in finding herself, she settles down with the man of her dreams to open a school for less fortunate children.  Each of The March girls show sadness and joy, and aren't afraid of loving with passion and stating controversial  opinions about child labor, the war, social injustice, and the poor.  They are each a beautiful depiction of women that reach for a greater call in life, following in their mother's footsteps.

Read today's quotes and verses and take some time this weekend to ponder what God may calling you to.


Matthew25:34-40  “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,  I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

   “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?  When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
   “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’


This is all takes~
Courage, Consistency, and Sacrifice

Yesterday I met with an amazing man and he made this very true statement-

"The people we serve are uncomfortable, we have to be uncomfortable to achieve the goal of helping them."

Following is a unknown quote from something I read recently~

 I think it's fair to say that American attitudes toward the poor-- and perhaps not just in America-- are mostly disdain and fear. They're dangerous and different. Sometimes there's a suspicion that their condition is their own fault, that they're simply lazy or inferior. Other Americans are more kind-hearted, but prefer not to look at the poor too closely; it's depressing, and they're surely not fun people to be with.
These attitudes are a world away from God's attitudes, as described in these verses. Neediness arouses compassion in God-- and action.
We may think: "Of course God loves the poor; he loves everybody." But it's not so simple as that; God's character is presented as a model for our own. If God values the poor, we have to think about what that means for us.


The scriptures This quote refers to are following:

Ps. 140:12. I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and justice for the poor.
Is. 25:4. For You have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress.
Ps. 10:14. The unfortunate commits himself to You; You have been the helper of the orphan... O LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will strengthen their heart, You will incline Your ear to vindicate the orphan and the oppressed.
Is 41:17. The afflicted and needy are seeking water, but there is none, and their tongue is parched with thirst. I, the LORD, will answer them Myself, as the God of Israel I will not forsake them.
Luke 6:20-21. Blessed are you who are poor, for yours in the kingdom of God. Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
James 2:5. Did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

Steve Jobs said this:
Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me.




Do something wonderful today!  Help someone who is uncomfortable.  Yes, it may make you uncomfortable, but is that such a bad thing?  If you want to serve, you must get used to sacrifice.  I encourage you to find your calling...Faith that Works can help you, as we are helping others find their calling.   Contact Terri to get started!  terri@faith-that-works.org

No comments: