Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Enemies of God

James Chapter 4 this week..VS.4; Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

Okay, think about this. What is being a friend of the world mean? When I read scripture I enjoy slowing down, asking myself questions, praying through the verse, and trying to squeeze all the truth I can out of the text. This is what I have been thinking about:

A friend of the world..do I enjoy my stuff more than I enjoy God? Do I enjoy people more than I enjoy God? How often do I pray? How often are my decisions made after much prayer, asking God what He wants me to do? Do I seek after entertainment, material possesions, and people's approval more than I seek after God? Our pastor made a profound statement last Sunday, "we will be met by God only at the level of our desire." What do I desire? Maybe I don't feel God's precense because I don't desire God. Before reading James Chapter 4, ask yourself-what do I desire? Then ask yourself, am I a friend of the world? Finally-am I God's enemy?

James quotes Proverbs 3:34: "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

No comments: