Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Word Has Life

Today I have fought a fight.  This is a fight I have been fighting for sometime..a fight against human trafficking, specifically sex trafficking.  One way Faith that Works fights for girls in Ethiopia is a Campaign we launched about 2 months ago to raise $100,000 for a Girls Center.  This center will be a beacon of light to almost 100 girls and their children that currently live in the red light district of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  We will house them , teach them skills, and nuture them emotionally.  Their photos hang on my wall above the place I sit and write at the moment,  as a reminder to keep fighting this fight.  I use the word CAMPAIGN so often that I hear it in my sleep, hear myself repeating it over and over again- telling others about this fight, this Campaign for our sisters in Ethiopia.  Today, as  I was running,  I thought  about this word, it has become so dull to me, as day after day I use it so often.  What does it mean to people?  I see faces, hear noises, and even smell things-memories of my time on the streets of Addis Ababa..but what does this word, Campaign,  mean to others who hear us speak about it?    As I try to communicate my experience, my emotion, I think to myself, am I getting through?  Do they hear?  Is this message reaching them?  Does the word Campaign even convey the depth of this cause, even a bit?  

Here are a few definitions of the word, Campaign:

a systematic course of aggressive activities for some specific purpose: 

3.
the competition by rival political candidates and organizations for public office.
–verb (used without object)
4.
to serve in or go on a campaign: He planned to campaign for the candidate. He campaigned in France.
–verb (used with object)
5.
to race (a horseboat, caretc.) in a number or series of competitions.

A race, a competition, an aggressive activity for SOME specific purpose?  Okay- that definition puts a whole different light on this!  Let's run this race together, let's compete for the girls, and let's be aggressive, and win!!!   

more soon about our efforts and the stories of the girls we are helping!  Also-go to www.faith-that-works.org for more info..

No comments: