Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Friday, November 13, 2009

Not feeling well

Today I hit the wall. I have been fighting a sickness for 3 weeks and I gave in today. I went to the kids school, picked them up, came home, turned on the T.V for the little ones and said..goodnight, mommy is going to her room and I am not coming out or a long while. It's pretty crazy (and funny) when you look forward to getting sick because you just want to rest! It feels so good to sit in bed with my laptop, watching T.V and just doing nothing!! Okay, not exactly nothing. I returned some emails, folded some laundry, starting cleaning out my closet..where are those winter clothes?

As i was flipping through the stations on T.V, what is on at 4 p.m..??? OPRAH! what else? I really don't care for Oprah, i used to, until the last few years, I don't know, something made me just not like her, can't explain it really. Anyway, I took a detour from my convictions about OPRAH and tuned in today. She had the author of Twilight, Stephenie Meyer on her show, which peaked my curiosity because I have FOUR daughters that have read this series, one of them fighting with me on wanting to see the movie ( I haven't let her yet because of her age), it seems to be a teenage craze..and adult women craze as well. So I tuned in. Okay, this author is so normal. She was a mom of three small children at the time she started writing the books, and had never written anything before. She explained that this story began in her mind, and in a dream, and she just could not shake it. She found herself dreaming and thinking of this story continually in her mind so she started to write it down, she said she did not want to "lose it." It was a secret from everyone except her sister. She never had any intention of trying to have it published except for the STRONG encouragement from her sister. She was turned down 9 times before even getting a manager. Okay, so, anybody ever hear of Twilight?? Ha ha, how could you not? The lesson in this for us?

1. pursue, don't give up! What if more Christians did this? What if we were not put off by the word no from others? What if we listened to our inner conviction( The Holy Spirit) and kept going forward no matter what rejections came our way. I strongly believe double mindedness kills many ministries, believing the enemy discourages perseverance and progress.

2. Everyone needs a best friend, someone that sees our strength, our gift, and encourages it. We need someone to believe in us! Here is a piece from her blog:

Meyer invented the plot during the day through swim lessons and potty training, and wrote it out late at night when the house was quiet. Three months later she finished her first novel, Twilight. With encouragement from her older sister (the only other person who knew she had written a book), Meyer submitted her manuscript to various literary agencies. Twilight was picked out of a slush pile at Writer's House and eventually made its way to the publishing company Little, Brown where everyone fell immediately in love with the gripping, star-crossed lovers.

I am not forming any opinion on the series Meyer wrote. I am not crazy about certain aspects of this series just because I have a 13 and 14 year old, other than that I am a little in awe of an average mom stepping out, taking a risk, doing something really gutsy and out of the box! Wow, if we could all follow two principals, stick with the ones that speak encouragement into our life, and pursue Our "dreams" like Stephenie Meyer did.

No comments: