Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Monday, November 16, 2009

Looking up Faith

As I read and study the book of Matthew I keep seeing this common theme of faith..The faith of the Centurion/ the lack of faith in Jesus' hometown/ "you of little faith," says Jesus in the boat/ when Jesus saw their faith, he healed the paralytic/ Jesus says, "your faith has healed you." All of this in a few Chapters in the book of Matthew..so I began to wonder about the word FAITH. I wondered if I could lay down all my preconceived ideas about faith and come to any new understanding about what Jesus is exactly saying in this gospel account.

My first step? I went to google dictionary:
religion: a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny;
complete confidence in a person or plan."the doctor-patient relationship is based on trust"
religion: an institution to express belief in a divine power;
loyalty or allegiance to a cause or a person;

Okay: then i went to Holman's bible dictionary:

Hab. 2:4 says, " the righteous will live by faith." Hmm..

It goes on..New testament writers often show continuity with the OT's concept of faith. Paul argues that Abram's experience provides a model for how God continues to save by faith (Abram was reckoned righteous because of his faith)Rom. 4. Just as was true prior to the coming of Christ, it is impossible after the coming of Christ for someone without faith to please God. (heb.11:6)

I want to apply this kind of faith to my life. I want to look at God and what He is accomplishing for me, now, in the past, and also in the future. I want to stop looking at circumstances, and keep my eyes on an amazing God that can do acceedingly, abundantly more than I can expect or think.





Let's ponder these things before tomorrow!

No comments: