Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Matthew Chapter 8

Today was a great day..we studied Matthew chapter 8 and for all of you that had sick kids, doctor appt.'s, tests to study for, or were sick yourself here is a highlight from today:

In verses 23-27 we see Jesus get into the boat and his disciples follow him. Without warning a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

The disciples had fear. They believed they were about to drown, they wondered why Jesus was calmly sleeping. Of course we read this and chuckle a little at their reaction..why are they panicked? GOD is in the boat with them!!! This may look ridiculous to us, but when the waves of life are about to engulf us, what is our reaction? Do we panick, and ask, why are you sleeping on the job, God? I am about to be taken out to sea and you are doing nothing!!?? How often does fear overwhelm us when we are faced with going under in our storm?

But!! Isn't God in our boat as well? Aren't we promised that He will never leave us or forsake us? "Why do we cry out, Lord, save me, I am about to drown? Don't we realize, if we go down, Jesus is IN THE BOAT as well? That the promise isn't, there will never be storms in your life, but, "don't fear, I am with you, even to the ends of the earth.

This may not speak to you as powerfully as it has spoken to me this week, but the picture of God in the boat has just stuck with me all week. What comfort it brings to know I am not alone, that I can look to Jesus to calm the storms of life and comfort me in the midst of them. " You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Those words are the only red letters in these verses. I ask myself today, why do I fret? Jesus isn't sleeping on the job, He has it all under control!

No comments: