Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

An important verse for the summer

Daily Verse
Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. (Romans 12:11, ESV)

You might be asking why I chose this verse, and why am I commenting on it's importance?

The reason for that may be the realization that summer often leads to a certain laziness. What I mean by that, is a laziness in spirit..the kids are home for the summer, we are traveling, entertaining out-of-town guests, and it is easy to put other things on hold: such as time with the Lord. Why do we all-of-sudden think important things, like the Lord, can wait? Do we pursue the pool, the BBQ's, the trips with the same zeal as we pursue the Lord?

I guess I am just comtemplative right now because of various conversations with people that have just arrived home from other countries on mission trips where they have seen a great amount of suffering and poverty. In contrast I have fretted over meals, activities, and social events that somehow seem silly in the face of a real problem such as hunger, poverty, or a devastating trauma..Such as my friends the Benes' . 2 Corinthians 4:8 kept coming to mind, "We are hard pressed on every side but not crushed, perplexed, but not in despair, persecuted, but not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed."

Andy and Jennie just adopted a beautiful baby boy, Brock, from Russia. While there, Jennie had her appendix burst. She had to have emergency surgery in a foreign country away from friends and family. An experience that should have been complete joy turned out somewhat traumatic. As my husband and I received emails from Andy asking for prayer-we prayed! We had the priveledge of having their daughter Bailey with us quite a bit during this time and I was moved to tears as I saw this story unfold before my eyes. This story affected me-deeply. It made all the trivial events of cooking, entertaining, and our vacation seem small compared to the fight Jennie was having in a small town in Russia by the name of Krasnoyarsk. I realized yet again how satan wants to steal, kill, and destroy but how God brings joy, love, and hope. What and obvious contrast in this story-and many others. I rejoice today as I see a little boy with a loving family, out of a hopeless situation. God must have a great plan for this precious one!

In closing-trips are great, BBQ's are fun, but I pray we NEVER forget that there is a dying world out there that Jesus calls us to be HIS hands and feet to... Thanks Andy and Jennie for having the courage to go out and rescue one of God's special children! Also- Thanks to all the missionaries I have spoken to as well, your reward is in heaven!

ANDY, JENNIE, and BROCK..

No comments: