Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Risk Takers

I am reading a book by John Piper, A Sweet & Bitter Providence.  John Piper calls Ruth and Boaz risk takers.  In his view they radically obeyed God, following a plan set before them that broke all "social" acceptance in that time.  They were different in their race, station in life, and almost every other way.  Here is a statement from the book of Ruth, "Blessed be the Lord, who has not left you this day without a redeeemer, and may his name be renowned in Israel."

This story is a story of hope and redemption.  It grips you, keeping you on the edge of your seat, wondering what Boaz will do when Ruth comes to him in the field..Ruth was a risk taker.  She left her homeland to follow Naomi to a strange land.   When Naomi tells her to go out to the fields, she does.  Again and again Ruth take risks.

I like that.  I ask myself, am I willing to take a risk?  Do I step out in ways that I know I may be rejected?  Am I willing to trust God like Ruth trusted?

I want to be a risk taker.  I want to wake up every morning with expectation.  For me?  I have decided to act on the opportunities presented each day.  I am going to trust that God will give me the time and energy to reach out to people, to engage in their lives, to live each day waiting for an opportunity and knowing it is right around the corner.  I am looking for joy, expecting it, and when i see it?  I will embrace it!  Then?  I will praise God for bringing it my way.

3 comments:

Kelly Greer said...

Amen! A life of risk with God is really no risk at all.....His ways are higher than our ways. When we walk in the spirit we are "walking on water" because our God knows where we are and where we are headed. That's the kind of faith he wants from us. No fear. Like the little children coming to him with great expectations and complete trust! You can sign me, "Willing to risk it all. Thanks again Terri for the encouraging words.

terri stipanovich said...

thank you for that! I love reading your comments..but your anonymous?

Kelly Greer said...

Not so anonymous! It's me, Kelly. My MITI group retreats at our cabin every year and one year we were contemplating the beauty of names given by the Native Indians, and the fact that God gives us each a new name. So, we named eached other! They named me "Plays with Purpose". If you click on my name, I think it leads you to my mountain climbing expedition! Enjoy!