Red Cross Motto

"The Greatest Tragedy is indifference"

Our Challenge

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? Mary Oliver

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Faith That Works

This week in bible study we are discussing James Chapter 2. I have been reading, then re-reading the chapter, trying to find a way to apply the truths to everyday life. James Chapter 2 verse 17 says this, "Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself." If I only looked at that one verse I would be utterly confused right now! Aren't we saved by faith alone-in Christ alone? What is this works deal all about?

I am so glad we are exhorted to listen to the full council of God and not just a verse here and there. Such as this verse in Romans 3:28 which says, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the law."

So, my feeble conclusion? It is a faith that works! To some of you out there, faith may be getting up in the morning. To another it could be sharing Jesus with a neighbor, helping a friend in need, following a call to the mission field, disciplining your wayward child..on and on, faith looks different for each of us. yes, God is challenging us, but only you or I know exactly what that challenge is-it's personal.

Today I walked with a friend and we talked about our worst fear, to stop growing in our faith. Wouldn't it be sad to turn back from the challenges God has for us? Paul tells us:

Philippians 3:12
[ Pressing on Toward the Goal ] Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

No comments: